Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Help! Y-factor hit by van! 

Hi all,
This is my first post here. My son is the yo-yo (ist? er? lobyte?) and he is quite good IMO. Last month he was hit in a crosswalk by a shiny new town and country minivan. As it turns out, my son is going to be ok (whew!), but his prized red Y-factor flew out of his pocket and got run over. Needless to say, that sucker was a gonner, flat on one side, axle bent, only thing saved was the bearing and who knows how good that really is after getting creamed by a 4000lb van.

Anyhow, I've been trying to replace it for him in time for Christmas and I can't find a y-factor anywhere. Has it been discontinued? Is there another small package yoyo that replaced it?

It would be so cool if someone could point me to a source for a new y-factor for him. He really misses it!

Thanks

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

You should look on the buy sell trade areas of the forums. This forum and the forum over at yoyonation have y factors for decent prices. A good all around alternative is also the Cafe Racer that one drop currently has in their own shop for sale. Best of luck!!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. So, the y-factor is indeed discontinued? Thanks for the recommendation for the cafe racer, I did see one in matte black that looked pretty cool but how does it compare in performance to the y-factor? I saw it comes with a (budget) bearing, does it do much better with upgrades? Fwiw I am also getting him a 54 with side effects and I assume the characteristics are different enough that I dont want to upgrade a cafe racer into something he wasn't looking for....

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Very true the 54 should be good for now. You can always buy more side effects to alter the way it plays!! With the brass domes the 54 weighs the same as the Y Factor too!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Here are some other One Drop throws you might be interested in....... my personal favorite is the Dietz. But the Cafe Racer is an all around awesome throw that you must have in your collection, fun player. Just more options. And 54 was a good choice, super smooth. :)

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/manufacturer/15/One-Drop-YoYos

Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it..... ;)

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. ;)

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello!

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your son! The silver lining, though, is that there are TONS of great yoyos to replace his destroyed YFactor.

First of all, the YFactor can still be found relatively easily on the Buy/Sell/Trade sections of this forum, YoYoNation's forum, YoYoExpert's forum, and many others all across the internet. You can expect to get one in mint condition for around $70, but might find one for much less depending on the seller's expectations.

Another great yoyo to look into is the Cafe Racer (as mgiroux77 suggested). It doesn't look, feel, or play anything like the YFactor, but it is an absolutely amazing yoyo in it's own way. The budget bearing is just as nice as the standard 10 ball bearing, so you won't be losing out in that respect. Everything else about it (the axle system, the response system, and the finish) is just awesome. I've found that the Cafe Racer is perfect for just tossing in your pocket and carrying with you wherever you go because of it's small size and low price.

If that doesn't sound like something your son would want, the Burnside is another amazing option. In all honesty, the Burnside is the best competition-oriented yoyo that I've ever thrown. It just does everything perfectly and looks great on top of it. The price is only $10 more than a YFactor, so you won't be breaking the bank if you get one for your son. The Burnside plays perfectly. I wish I could say more about it, but I really can't.

Getting him a 54 is also a wonderful idea. Side Effects are the best/biggest yoyo innovation of the past few years. They've completely changed what some people look for in a yoyo and give the end user more control over their yoyos than ever. I recommend that you also look into the CODE1, Dietz, and DANG, though. They all use the Side Effect system, but add new shapes to the lineup. The Dietz will feel the most like the YFactor, but the DANG retains the projection grooves and flat rims. It really is a toss-up between them all, but you can rest assured that they all play wonderfully and are heavily customizable, so your son can really make them his own.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask. I think that replacing your son's yoyo is a great gift and a great way to make him feel better about being hit by a van. I'm sure I speak for a good chunk of the yoyoing community when I say, "Get well soon!"

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Hey all, thanks for the fast responses. In the end I decided to pick up the dietz for its similar profile and dimensions. Its a little lighter and the gap is narrower than the y-factor but I think it's the closest to what he wanted out of that yoyo.

Thanks for all the help, you guys have an awesome community!

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for joining the forum and coming here to post. So sorry to hear about your son, but I'm quite glad to hear he is okay.

Great choice on the 54 and Dietz. I picked up my 54 a few days ago and can't put it down. I forgot how good it was, but I'm glad I rediscovered it. :)

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm

If you’re really looking for a Y- Factor, YoYoLoco has some.
http://yoyoloco.com/products/one-drop-y-factor-yoyo

Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]