Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Recreational CFD...On a Real One Drop Yoyo! 

Yep, that's right! How about a little Recreational Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) on a real One Drop yoyo? It's been a few years since I last investigated the airflow around a spinning generic yoyo, which took us down the path of schmoove rings and the physics associated with them. Here's the previous discussion: http://http://onedropyoyos.com/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=13

With all the recent pretty pictures of One Drop yoyos posted lately, I thought it would be nice to do some simulations on a real yoyo, a real One Drop yoyo! I'll report my progress here in this thread with lots of pretty pictures of computational yoyo models and colorful fluid dynamics results. Our first victim is here....a 54 with spikes, as shown below. The second picture is the initial CFD surface model of the yoyo, consisting of 129,702 surface elements (little triangles), with each triangle averaging about 0.5 mm side length! To generate those 129,702 elements, there are 64,853 nodes. A node is a three dimensional point on the yoyo model surface the indicates/locates the vertex points of the surface triangles. This is the start our journey for today. Stay tuned!

db

P.S. This is probably the first simulation of a complete, real, modern yoyo ever attempted! And if not, oh well, it will be fun nonetheless!

Last edited by dirty birdy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Bring it ninja!

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm excited to see where this goes!

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

cowmamba wrote:
I'm excited to see where this goes!

Me, too! :lol:

This is especially true because the first yoyo I simulated was of a very generic, linear surface design, with sealed, flat endcaps, like a SPYY Pure. Modeling the 54, I expect the flow field inside the cup and around the IRG edge should prove to be very interesting, if my own thought experiment of what I anticipate the flow to behave like is any indication! Other than this part of the flow field, I really don't have any burning questions I'm trying to answer with this effort, but, I expect that to change as we start studying the flow field.

Given the serious lack of scientific direction for this study, the only real problem with recreational CFD is that every step of the modeling process requires quite a bit of manual labor, even though the tools are all computer based. I might even consider documenting the process in a little more detail than I did a few years back so that all who read it can appreciate what it takes to perform modern computational simulations! And, fortunately, since this is being done in my infinite spare time, I have no deadline or requirements to meet. Think of it as Science...For Fun! 8-)

db

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 am

Just a quick update, I haven't been ignoring everyone...the very first 54 CFD solution is currently crunching away on my machine, and gobbling up almost 8GB of memory! It will definitely be interesting for me to look at the results, maybe later this evening, but it will not ready for public consumption yet.

I've also been thinking about documenting a little more of what goes into the makings of a CFD model and solution. Starting from the designing in CAD, though all the data exchange and processing with CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) tools to generate the computational representation of the yoyo, looking into CFD mesh generation and solvers, and, finally, a look at post-processing the solution (all the pretty Colorful Fluid Dynamics pictures and animations). It's not simply a quick pushbutton operation to play a rocket scientist, you know!

So, stick with me, this will be an adventure!

db

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

A couple of teasers here, exploded view of the 54 and some pretty streamlines!

db

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

When can I get a full size color poster?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:06 pm
Profile WWW

What image do you want? I've not yet produced one that's pretty enough for publication. I'll tease you with more within the next week or so....!

db

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]