Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:29 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 One Drop Players Team 

We have a great team of players and here are the bios.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

Mark Montgomery

We are so honored to be in partnership with Mark Montgomery. He's a legend in yo-yoing and we're blessed that he loves our yo-yos and represents them with grace and style.

Here is Mark's ten year yo-yoing history in his own words:

I randomly went to an arts and crafts store one day on my way to this private school called Eaglebrook. I taught myself the basics and then decided to upgrade to a Yomega Raider. As I started trying to do more complex tricks, I started messing up a lot more. And every time I messed up, the yo-yo would snap back and hit me in the hand. Hurt quit a bit. This was when I was in 6th grade so I was pretty young minded and just decided to quit. Fast forward 3 years later to 2000, my last year at the school. A new dorm advisor, my dorm advisor, had came to Eaglebrook and he was actually an X-Wringlin' Brother clown. His name was Bart Landenberger. He knew some of the advanced tricks I had been trying to learn years ago so I asked him if he could teach me. After I got those tricks down, right around the time I graduated from the school, on my drive home I stopped at A2Z science in Northhampton. I ended up buying a Henry's Viper to save my fingers. While I was there making my purchase, Jack the owner told me all about the Yomega Yo-Yo Association World Competition to take place that summer ( 2000 ). So after I got home, I went online and started looking up videos for more tricks to learn. I came across Sector_Y and my life was forever changed. I watched all the videos on the site with specific attention to the Spindox videos. The first trick that blew just me away was a braintwister combo Gary Longoria did in one of the Spindox vids. I was convinced the video footage was sped up and was further impressed when I e-mailed Citadel, the owner of the site, to find out that the video was in real time. At any rate, I ended up competing at the contest that summer and getting 2nd to last place in the 2nd to lowest division, but I still kept yoyoing. I came back the next 2 consecutive years and got 1st place in both of the 2 highest divisions. The rest is history.

Mark has an extensive life outside of yo-yoing. He attends Savannah College of Art and Design as a Graphic Design and Animation double major. He also juggles, diabolos, beatboxes, breakdances, pops, plays trumpet, does music production, comedy, and freestyle rap.

Here are the teams Mark has been on in chronological order: Duncan, Yomega, Buzz-On Industries, One Drop.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 am

Igor Korzhev

Igor "Stuff" Korzhev joins us from Russia along side his best friend Fedya. Stuff is a great yo-yoer and is renowned for his incredible yo-yo videos. He will be producing videos on behalf of One Drop.

A great example of his work is "Latte."

Stuff in his own words:

My first yo-yo was a gift from my girlfriend. Although I didn't take it serious at that time, I found it very interesting. After some practice my throwing started to take some shape. In 2006 I competed for the first time at RYYC but later in early 2007 I found myself into BMX and put the yo-yo away for a while.

Six months passed and I started to miss my mates Fedya and Yoggi and finally decided that I want to stay with them and continue throwing. Together we joined yoyoing.ru team, spent a lot of time together. Later that year i placed 3rd at ASYYC and felt my yo-yoing was progessing nicely.

In the summer one of my videos was discussed positively on international yo-yo boards so I started to spend more and more time filming them. At the RYYC'08 video contest I took the best directing and best picture award.

Previously I was sponsored by Death By Yo-Yo team and now I'm excited to be a part of One Drop. At the moment I'm a student of Moscow Medical Academy and besides yo-yoing I also enjoy practiceing BMX, diabolo and table tennis.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:25 am

Paul Dang

Paul Dang is the first local player to join our team. He lives in Portland Oregon and is a member of the PDX Yo-Yo Crew. He's been a long time supporter of One Drop and has helped test all of our yo-yos. He's made incredible progress in his playing and we're honored to have him on board.

Paul in his own words:

I thought I'd be solving Rubik's Cubes all day long for the rest of my life. Until one day, a good friend of mine, Jeromy Nguyen, approached me with proposition, "Since I can't achieve quick times on the Rubik's Cube, I'm going to start a new hobby and destroy you at it." Being a competitive person that am, I knew I couldn't step back from this challenge. So I stared deep into his eyes and told him, "Noob-Cake, go ahead and try." That very next day, I stopped by my local retailer of goods and picked up a Duncan Butterfly. A week later, he came in and had a Duncan Freehand Zero. After finding out his yo-yo contained a ball bearing, I knew I had to find an upgrade. So I returned home and tried to look for a ball bearing. As I sat in my room, saddened by the fact I couldn't find a bearing after hours of searching, I had almost given up, until I glanced at my skateboard. Bingo, so I dismantled my skateboard and took the bearing, shoved it into my Butterfly and threw it with all my might. My string snapped and I was out of luck. That was during the summer of 2007.

A month after my dreadful accident, I came across a Duncan Flying Squirrel while on vacation in California. I wasn't introduced into high end metal yo-yos until the fall of 2007 when Jeromy called me and told me about a local yo-yo designer he got in touch with. Not so long after that, I was able to meet him, he went by the name Colin Leland. From then on, everything just seemed to click.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:29 am

Vilmos Zoltan Kiss ("Revan")

We excited to welcome Revan to the One Drop players team! He is from Hungary and consistently places well in contests. We particularly like his style and it's clear he's always trying to innovate. He is also a big force in helping to grow yo-yoing in Hungary and he organized the first East Hungarian YoYo Contest in 2008.

In his own words:

My nickname is Revan. I am 18 years old. I live in Hungary.
Now I am preparing my school leaving exam. I have to study a lot but next to learning I always find time to practice yo-yoing.

The beginning:
I was a cloakroom attendant with my friend in the high school and it was very boring. Later my friend presented a ball bearing yoyo. I loved it and decided to buy one. So my first yoyo received on 12 of February, 2007 and this was the day when my story began.

I was practicing when I could. Two or three hours a day. I was alone and there wasn't anyone who helped me in the learning because most yoyo players lived in the capital city. But i didn't give up and I was practicing and practicing. After 10 months I traveled to Budapest to the Hungarian YoYo Nationals. This was my first contest. I decided to compete in 1A semi-pro division and I was the 3rd place :)

I have been in many contests since. I was in the Czech YoYo Nationals last November. This contest was the best in my life. There was Yuuki Spencer, Dr. Popular, Kentaro Kimura and Ben McPhee. When I saw Yuuki was on the stage and playing it was very impressive and inspired me. I was very excited about the preliminary but to my surprise I was in the final and I ended up in 6th. It was my best result andI was very proud of myself. Since then, I continue to improve all the time.

I love yoyoing. Yoyoing isn't a hobby; it's a sport of me. I want to be better and I'd like to get to more contests including the World YoYo Contest in the future.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:44 am

Alex Love

It's awesome to have Alex on our team. His smooth style is easy for those outside of the yoyo community to understand and appreciate. Alex performs at various functions around his city and brings a mainstream awareness to yoyoing. He has also started competing and has done well so far.

In his own words:

"Wow, its been such a long road. Yoyoing has brought me so much fun and friends! It all started back in May 2007 when someone at a cookout gave me a Duncan ButterFly and became hooked and needed a yoyo with a ball bearing. I remember getting my first One Drop Project in June of 2008 and after that i was hooked on One Drop Yoyos. They just feel so right to me.

Yoyos are my hobby and my passion, but I've also landed some shows. I do all kinds of different shows: festivals, birthday parties, charity, theater... etc. Give to someone else before you give to yourself. :) Its fun to see reactions to a simple Trapeze or Double Or Nothing. Doing shows lets me meet a lot of cool people and spread the love of yoyoing."

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Luis Eduardo Celis Vanegas

We first saw Luis in his video called "Hypnotic" and were blown away at his smooth style and how well he represented yo-yoing. In getting to know more we saw that he was a great force for yo-yo awareness in Latin America and we feel so fortunate to have him join the One Drop team.

In his own words:

This great passion that I feel for the Yoyo began in the year of 1999. In this year a big Mexican company called PROYO visited my country. PROYO brought with it their champions (all of them were Mexican players,) to promote this fun toy. These promotions were done with traditional yoyos. The yoyos were made out of plastic with a fix wood axle. These champions performed incredible shows and demonstrations. I was hooked since the first time I saw it. I became fascinated.

I was 12 years old back then. I used to see yoyos as a pastime and a form of entertainment. It was fun for the spare time. Colombia was visited periodically over time by different yoyo companies. It was this aspect that helped me to maintain my liking for yoyos. I learned how to play and manipulate the traditional yoyos because back then I was not aware of yoyos with ball bearings.

Thanks to the Internet I learned of the yoyos with a ball bearing. For me it was incredible to see all one can do with this type of yoyo. I did not hesitate and I bought a yoyo with a ball bearing. I started with a low grade one and as my skills improved I acquired good yoyos to facilitate a better performance. My evolution on this type of playing style was fast. It was in the same year that I abandoned the idea that a yoyo was simple toy. I stopped seeing it as a hobby as well. I began to see yoyo playing as something you did professionally. I wanted to be an expert and throw yoyos to perfection. I set two goals for myself. The first one was to work professionally for a company with traditional yoyos. The second goal was to be sponsored by a great brand of yoyos with ball bearings. I knew that these two objectives were not easy to realize. However, thanks to my discipline and efforts, I was able to reach my dreams and goals.
As of now I am a professional yoyo player. I work doing exhibitions and demonstrations in different parts of the world. Yet, at the same time I have grasp my biggest dream. That is to be sponsored. So, today I say with a feeling of pride and emotion that I am a team member of the best company in existence ONE DROP YOYOS.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Graeme Steller

We welcome Graeme to the team. He lives in Rhode Island and gives a lot to the yo-yo world. He has started a local yo-yo club that has been really successful and if you have seen his videos you know he has skill and style. In addition to inspiring other yo-yoers Graeme has begun competing and we see him doing well in that arena.

In his own words:

I started yo-yoing in 2009 after coming home to my childhood yo-yo in pieces on the kitchen floor, at the fault of none other than the demon (just kidding) I call my little brother. I didn't ever expect the result to be my catching on to such a rewarding hobby. After the devastating accident, I decided to rush to the computer and look at the single most expensive replacement I could find, but instead I found a yo-yo community. I was baffled at how so many different people could all mesh together into such a blended group of enthusiasts. I was hooked.

I've formed quite a reputation in this adorable little community. Generally, I'm a pretty energetic dude. Blame my ADHD, but it's who I am. Some find me to be annoying and obnoxious, and others find me to be a joy to be around. I usually only care for the people who like to be around me, because I’d in all honesty rather not be around you if you don't like me in the first place. I'm not out here to make any enemies; I'm out here to play with a toy, just in a much more complex way than the purpose it was intended for. Yo-yoing is incredible. It really amazes me to watch a sport with literally an infinite possibility of variations to be filled with some of the most intellectual, fun, and, quite frankly, fashionable people on the block. I like it here, so I think I'll stay.

Only a short year and a half into the game, I received a sponsorship invitation from a highly acclaimed yo-yo manufacturer, One Drop. I remember how I was asked quite vividly:
It was June 2nd, 2010, the day of my last final exam of my high-school freshman year. With the relief of summer ahead of me, I went to the ShopCam to share with David, a co-owner of One Drop. I had become quite close with David (broheman as I called him) over the past couple of months, and it was great to see him working as hard as he always does on the Cam. All I had said in the chat box was, "Best day ever! Done with finals!" before I had quickly received a private chat window from David: "Well, I'm about to make it the better, hopefully. How would you like to be the youngest member of our team?" Pinch me.

As cute as the story is, I can't thank everyone enough for giving me the opportunities to be a part of such a talent filled team. I can remember when all of my buddies would always encourage me to keep on trying my best with each and every video of mine. It's amazing that I've gotten to where I am in such a short time. I owe it to everyone who has supported me, hated me, listened to me, and been a part of my journey. I can only wish for the best for the rest of my time with One Drop. They are quickly rising to the top of the market, and I'm patient in seeing what new moves we, as well as the team, can make moving forward. Again, thank you all for such a privilege, and keep throwing this damn toy for as long as you can. ♕

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Justin "Pankcakes" Cronin

This has been a long time coming. Our good friend Pancakes helped us test the original Project when we were in the development stage. We are proud to welcome him to the One Drop team. He is an multi-faceted artist from Portland, Oregon who brings a unique style to yo-yoing.

You can check out some of his old videos here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7608

We look forward to what he is going to bring in the future.

In his own words:
"I started way back with a yellow wooden diamond imperial my dad gave to me.
It had his name and a bird carved into it. He had won it at a contest when he was a kid.
I learned all the basics on that and was pretty into it.
Years later a friend showed me "Welcome to Naptown" and I was hooked.
Ive been throwing in Portland for 5 or 6 years now, I cant remember anymore.

To make things easy and skip the manifesto, Im what you might call a creative type.
I work for a record label doing album cover and label design with over a hundred slabs selling world wide.
I also do large scale archival printing and creative work of my own in just about every medium and have work up around town on the regular.
Ive spun records around town since '96, had radio shows and am now posting way to often on the "what are you listening to right now" forum.

If im not throwing or making art, Im out biking with Mofopotomus in the rain.

People call me Pancakes because, well... I make sweet pancakes."

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 am

Clifton B

Please welcome Clifton to the One Drop team! Like Pancakes, Clifton is local who lives in Portland and has supported us from day one. He is a yo-yo artist with a really unique fast style. One of my favorite yo-yo videos of all time is this one:

In his own words:
"My first throw was a blue wooden fixie with the Smothers Brothers logo on one side. I didn't do a lot with it, but I watched that show religiously, and something about Tom's enthusiasm for this little spinning toy was really captivating.

Fast forward 15 or so years. I started this circus in Seattle with my friend Scotty Walsh--a magician, acrobat, escape artist and all around fascinating guy. He got me juggling, and a while later I was passing clubs with pros who were nothing but nice and outgoing and really just thrilled to share their sport with anyone who's interested.

I soon discovered the diabolo, and abruptly quit juggling. Diabolo became my life for a good couple years. I dedicated five months to perfecting my 2D entries, sometimes doing nothing but starts and corrections with two bolos for 5 hours at a time in the field at the Evergreen State College. Trust me, that was more productive than a lot of students at that school ever were.

Then I found something that changed my world forever: The Japan 2003 National Yo-yo Contest video. Got it off Soulseek, if I recall correctly. (See, it's not all about pirating movies and albums.) That did it for me. I soon found TheGlassLab's videos, specifically Experiment 4 with Doc Pop and Experiment 8 with lots of people.

My next few months worth of paychecks went to as many yo-yos as I could find. Someone saw me trying to throw a Flying Panda, taught me a trapeze, then gave me his old Night Moves 2. The NM4 would later become my favorite throw until the Project. In the meantime, I met up with john Huber and Sterling Quinn, who taught me more basics, and I knew yo-yo was gonna stay with me forever.

Oddly enough, I went to the same school with Mark Montgomery for a year and a half in Savannah, Georgia. I think we saw each other exactly three times while I was there. I was embarrassingly bad whenever we threw together. But next to him, not many people aren't.

Highlights of my yo-yoing career include making it to Worlds '06, catching up with the Yo-yo Samurai Tour for a day in Tokyo, and throwing every month for over a year in Shu Takada's house before he got all famous.

The Project's my absolute favorite yo-yo in the world. It's perfect for me. I like my throws light and my strings short, because I'm a fan of fast and blurry.

I'm pumped to be a part of the One Drop team. I want to represent the company and brand with a smile on my face at all times. Yo-yo should be about fun, not intimidation or superiority. It's a friggin toy. And it's kinda my life."

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:55 am

Andrew Daugherty

Andrew, who is a long time friend, Eugene resident and One Drop employee is now joining the One Drop team. We are loving having a Eugene yoyoer on the team! He plans to compete and has already made some really cool videos. Check him out on our forum under the username ando_commando.

In his own words:

"Hmmmmmm, where do i begin?

I like yo-yos, the end….
just kidding :)

When I was in high school, a group of my close friends would meet up and hang out all day at card shop and play a myriad of games (from board games to trading card games). One day the owner of the shop (a good friend too) told us that he used to yoyo and he was wanting to get us interested in it, only later did we did find out that he was planning on buying the yoyo product of another store going out of business to sell at his shop….I see what you did there.

My first yoyo was a flying squirrel and I couldn't get enough of it! though I could't do a lot I was having a lot of fun.

About 2 months after we all started at the shop the owner told us he was going to chico and check out nationals. We were all jealous and forced him to take us with him. We all decided to enter the trick ladder portion and that is when the practicing began! we soon discovered that we needed an unresponsive yoyo to do a lot of the tricks more effectively so i shelved my flying squirrel and upgraded to a dif-e-yo cross bones.

After a long drive with 8 people shoved into a van and sharing a 2 bed motel with those same 8 smelly, nerdy, people I call my friends, we made it to chico and arrived to the 2007 national yoyo contest! I was excited, I had seen what good yo-yoing was and was excited to see it all in person. We had our go at the sports ladder and I….didn't get past boingy boing. Though I got 50th place out of 54, the experience was amazing, and so much fun, memories I wont forget.

Awhile later, I met a man named Colin Leland and he was working on making his own yoyo with this random company you might know…OneDrop. I got to see the very beginning of the project, but before it made it to the full on production, i fell out of yo-yoing trying to catch up in high school and would only pick it up here and there for the next three and a half years.

About four months ago I picked it up again and have been attacking it full force, I even forget to eat breakfast before I go to work sometimes because I'm throwing. Yoyoing is quickly becoming a big part of my life and being with onedrop is only going to make that bond stronger. Being inside the shop I see all the hard work, precision, and high standards that OneDrop set for each and every one of their products. The over all feel of the company fits me perfectly.
I am honored to be on the best yoyo team in the world."

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Ryosuke Kawamura

Please welcome Ryosuke to the team. We are so happy to have player representation in Japan and we couldn't have chosen better.

In his own words:

"I started playing with yoyo when I saw in elementary school and saw on TV that surfers were playing with yoyo while they were waiting for the right wave to surf. As soon as I saw that I wanted play with yoyo, so I went to the toy store and bought one and I was into it. A year after that, Bandai started promoting Hyper yoyo and hyper yoyo boom began in Japan.

I started to play with hyper yoyo and number of kids playing with yoyo increased in my town, made a lot of friends and I used to love to play with yoyo all day as soon as I got home from school. I practiced everyday and got tested with tricks as soon as I learned some new tricks and competed against my friends.

Around 2000 the yoyo boom was over and a number of stores who carried yoyos and strings decreased so I wasn't able to play with yoyo very much. Couple years later I got in high school and I saw a boy playing with yoyo on TV,felt nostalgic and shocked. He was doing a lot of tricks that I've never seen before and made me notice that there were so many things you can still do and I got into yoyo again.

The boy I saw on TV was a 2A player who is known around the world, Koji Yokoyama. I started practicing 2A with the yoyos that I used to play with. After while, I found out through internet that there were 5 divisions in contest, and I got interested in 1A. As I saw more videos online, I found a player who did the style that I liked. His name was Mark Montgomery, who I still look up to. I like his unique playstyle, and his aura as an player. I started to do 1A, and I started to go to yoyo meets, and I started to run Hachiouji yoyo meet in Tokyo. As we had more meets, I started to make more friends and I started making it into finals at contest from practicing with friends and competing against each other.
As yoyo companies started to make yoyos out of metal, I met the Project by One Drop. One Drop's yoyo played great and it matched my playstyle, and I became fan of One drop immediately. Eventually, I had a dream of becoming a team member of One Drop.

As the technology of yoyo evolved, I met a person who changed my yoyo life. That person was Masanobu Iwata. He asked me to become a head judge for 44CLASH because I ran the yoyo meet and I knew how to judge.
Masanobu, Dee and I ran the 44CLASH together, and it became one of the most recognized yoyo contest.

Finally in 2012, another big change in my yoyo life happened. I finally got accepted to join One Drop team. I am so happy that I never gave up.
I would like to thank Shawn, David, One Drop team member, and my friends who have supported me.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Mack Finley

Not many people can do 3A, so we are blessed to have Mack Finley on our team representing that style. Mack has worked really hard on learning 3A as well as being a valuable and positive member of the yoyo community. In his own words:

"My name is Mack, but alot of you might know me from the various
yoyo forums as RebelThrow. I live high in the North East corner of
Oregon in a small college town called, La Grande. Although, i spent
most of my childhood as well as part of my adult life in the Portland area.
Oregon is a fantastic State and im proud to call it my home.
But enough about that, were here to talk about that great toy we call yoyo.

Yoyo has been a catalyst for so many good things in my life,
from the great people iv'e met and friends iv'e made to the
places it has taken me in terms of travel and competitions.
Years ago we were all about the Diabolo, and then one day my
friend Shawn showed me the Duncan Metal Zero he bought. He had
a little DVD that came with it showing all these rad tricks
by Steve Brown and Jack Ringka, and we were hooked. I ordered a
Duncan Throw Monkey and we spent the next several months learning
the basics, struggling through the early days of our new found addiction.

About 6 months or so in we met a groovy dude by the name of Jacob Jensen,
or "Elephark" as most of you know him. His influence and expertise helped us
so much in our first year and he brought us to our first contest, 2011's Pacific Northwest Regional.
That contest exposed me to so many cool people, and inspired me in so many ways.
That trip inspired me to pick up 3A once I realized how few people in the Pacific Northwest
were doing it. Steven Kinder gave me some pointers, and Jason Rodriguez sold me a pair
of modded Kicksides that i paid for with a large bag of quarters and the next day i began my journey.
Well, I came back the next year and took 4th place out of 7 people in 3A Finals.
I'd found my style.

Early in my yoyo days I represented Double Take Industries as well as Chaos Yoyo String,
and have been a proud member of the Ditch Down Tattooed Yoyo Club for over a year.
But fast forward to today, I have happily represented Toxic Yoyo Strings for the last
8 months and am now VERY proud to be able to represent One Drop Yoyos. Being an Oregon
native my entire life, i have a special love for Oregon based companies and firmly
believe in supporting local buisness. Well lucky for us, we have one of the best
right here at home so the choice was easy.

Im proud to be One Drops first 3A-Exclusive sponsored player. I hope i can represent
them well, while hopefully helping to make 3A more approachable to interested players
in my attempt to continue to learn and better myself. Eventually i would even like
to perhaps come out with some tutorials for beginners, something which i have found
is lacking at the moment.

This is an unreal opportunity for me, its a dream come true in all honesty.
I'm humbled and honored beyond words and I imagine it will take some time
to wipe this smile from my face.

Happy Throwing!"

Mon May 14, 2012 11:41 am

Valeriy "Fedya" Reutov

We are stoked to welcome Fedya back on the One Drop team! He was one of the first to join our team and it's great to have him back representing us in Russia along with Igor.

In his own words:
"Hey!
My name is Valeriy Reutov, but most of my friends call me "Fedya". I bought my first yoyo in September 2006. Since that day i start throwing every day and everywhere. My first championship was in May 2007, within a year, in 2008 I won my first contest and get my first sponsorship by Death-by-YoYo.
In December 2008 i took 1st place at Russian Nationals as a part of OneDrop team.

Through playing yoyo i find a lot of great people and friends, it's a great experience for me!

At the moment i'm working at local gift shop, also at free time i doing some illustrations and prints, filming and editing videos, tattooing and
riding my fixed gear."

Thu May 17, 2012 11:43 am

Jordan Hacherl

It is so cool to have our good friend and long time supporter on our team. Jordan has come a long way with his yoyoing. We get the chance to watch yoyoers improve over time and Jordan is an outstanding example of that. He is also a great human being.

In his own words:
I first started yo-yoing sometime in elementary school, circa 1999. We had a yoyo demonstrator come to our school and show us tons of cool tricks. So everyone, including myself, bought yoyos and were nuts about them. Then after 2 weeks or so, everyone stopped yoyoing. I held onto my orange Duncan imperial for a while and kept yo-yoing, but eventually all my strings broke and the yoyo was stuffed to the back of my desk drawer. At some point during my senior year of high school I began to become really bored. I would mainly go home and do homework, hang out with friends, or play video games (AKA: super smash brothers mele for hours). Eventually I remembered that my friend Paul Dang was a sponsored yoyo player. I decided to send him a message on facebook asking about how I should get started with yo-yoing. Paul gave me some good advice on where to start and the next day I bought a Duncan Bumble Bee. I was hooked.

My first metal yoyo purchase was a purple M1 from One Drop, it instantly became my daily carry. I was getting pretty into yo-yoing at the time but I mainly just thought it was fun and I didn’t take it too seriously. A few months after that Paul Dang took me to the 2010 Nationals where I met a bunch of yoyoers, hung out with Shawn and David, and watched Sebby sweep the Nationals title. I was so amazed by all of the different styles that people had developed in their divisions. That day I realized that yo-yoing was so much more than a toy.

I’ve been yo-yoing for around 3 years and I’m really drawn to the creative aspect of the hobby. I love to see how each person has their own unique style and the endless amounts of trick variation and possibilities. I’ve loved One Drop ever since I laid eyes on the Project. Their dedication to their product and to the yoyo community is amazing. David and Shawn are great friends and I’m honored to support their brand.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 am

JT Nickel

Please welcome JT Nickel to the One Drop players team. He is a local Oregonian and a long time friend and supporter of One Drop and is amazing yoyoer. JT is competition focused and has a distinct style. He will be competing this weekend at PNWR. We are really happy to have him on our team.

In his own words:
"I started yoyoing around December of 2010. I used to be very involved and competitive at Pokemon (Card Game) and spent a lot of time with my friends practicing and playtesting decks. One of my good friends I used to play with was Clint Armstrong who would always have a yoyo or two with him at Pokemon League or when we played at his house and finally one day I gave in and said I have to try one of those things out. When I left his house that day he gave me a Red Y Factor to borrow to see if i liked yoyoing, and I'm pretty sure I've thrown a yoyo every day since.

Right around that same time, my friend Aaron Davis took up yoyoing and everyday after school it was to clints house for Pokemon, yoyoing, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (our other competitive outlet). In February after I had a couple months of experience under my belt, I went to Pacific Northwest Regionals with them for the first time, and that was when my attitude changed about yoyoing. After seeing so many people doing so many different tricks throwing so many different yoyos, all I wanted to do was yoyo. I was very intrigued by how immense and versatile yoyoing could be, and the competitive aspect of it was right up my alley as well. Soon after PNWR I started going to a local yoyo club here in Corvallis and I met other local throwers like Jordan Hacherl and Paul Dang. From there I just kept practicing and progressing and yoyoing with people whenever I could. Eventually we realized the revelation that theres a full-blown yoyo company just down the road from us! And thus, we were introduced to One Drop and David and Shawn.

If I had my choice of any company to be sponsored by out there it would be One Drop. David and Shawn are two of the coolest guys ever and care a lot about yoyoing and what they do. They have a great team of guys ranging from super competitive to artistic and innovative. I feel so fortunate not only to have a such a great company in my backyard, but to represent them now too!"

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 am

Jonathon "Doctor B" Best

So excited to welcome Doctor B to the One Drop team. Check out this video to get know him better:

He has been yoyoing and spreading the love of yoyoing through teaching and being a positive role model for 20 years.

In his own words:

"I started yo-yoing when I was ten years old with a red Duncan Imperial that soon got replaced with countless other inexpensive yo-yos. The Duncan boom came and went, the Yomega boom came and went, but no matter who was dominating the contests or the airwaves, I kept at it.

About ten years ago, I had the opportunity to meet yo-yo legend Jon Gates at his Denver based yo-yo club. With Mr. Gates as a mentor and close friend, my skill and my passion for the hobby both grew faster than I realized. After competing in, and winning some, local and regional contests, I decided to expand my attention to the larger national and internet scene by attending more competitions and releasing videos typically filmed in all of the great places I've had the good fortune to visit. I've filmed yo-yo videos in Japan, Ecuador, New York, Las Vegas, Seattle, Denver, the Bahamas (and a few other islands in the Caribbean), and the snowy mountains of Colorado.

From the moment I first threw an original Project, I knew that One Drop had something special to offer the world and anyone smart enough to tie one to their finger. Since then, I've become particularly partial to the Project 2, the DANG, and the Cascade...but I think it'll be a while before this Yelet leaves my side. I'm excited for this opportunity to represent and throw for a company that exudes class, sophistication, and dedication to excellence."

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]