View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Big Brother Wedgie Review: Bead Blasted Fun 

Ok so Doug contacted me and asked me if I would like to try a Wedgie since I love undersized yoyos. I said heck yea those things look sweet..

Upon arrival I wasn't sure if I was getting a raw polished version or the bead blasted version.

Fast forward a few days and I'm unscrewing a plastic container in which the bead blasted Wedgie shipped. Pretty cool way to ship the yoyo I can use it to store stuff NICE..

OK on to the review..

Looks And Feel: Upon first seeing it, I wasn't sure if I liked the shape or not in real life, its different then anything coming out lately. Its got flat rims like some of my favorite yoyos but it also has a few extra angles. It was odd. It took me a couple days for the shape to grow on me. Now its not a bad shape its just different then what I'm used to. The Feel of the Wedgie is 100% bliss the Bead Blast finish is so welcoming and says "HEY PLAY ME". which I did. I also like the polished inner rims and bead blast combo versus just bead blasting the whole thing. It makes it look nicer when spinning.

Weight: This thing is a tank, its like a roided out 300lb football player that does exactly as the coach tells him, its heavy on the string but in such an authoritative manner, It cruises around the string like its no ones business.. I dig the way this thing felt in weight.

Response: My Wedgie shipped with dual O-rings, I'm not sure if this is how Doug will ship the production yoyo's or if they will be siliconed, since it came with O-rings we will review it with O-rings. When I pulled it out and threw it for the first time, the dual O-rings stuck out so far it ate half if not more of the gap, it was grabby, something had to be done, This is not good. So about 20 mins later and a exacto knife in hand I shaved the O-rings down smooth, now the gap opened back up, it didn't snag, and were in business. Doug if I could recommend a single thing to do on production Wedgies is ditch the O-rings.

Bearing: The yoyo ships with a small size bearing, I have never thrown a small bearing yoyo besides a couple Yomega 2A stuff. It came right out of the box unresponsive as can be, woohoo I dont have to clean it, I can just go right into throwing. The bearing is mildly quiet, not much louder then how I run my cleaned dry 10 balls.

Ok Ok we heard enough huh? How does it play?

Playability: Well first and foremost nothing I have played grinds like the Wedgie does, it just will grind for days, thumb grinds no problem, hand to hand transfers no problem, it loves to grind.. The Wedgie with its authoritative weight flys around that string on a mission. Its smooth, it had no vibe even on a bad throw, its a monster. I know after several days of playing with the wedgie I will never get rid of it. Heck I wouldnt mind trying to find one of the Raw ones. It just plays like high end metal should, smooth and powerful. I wish I had more words to explain how it plays but I can only think of five.. You Got To Buy One

One last thing I wanted to touch on was construction, the yoyo obviously is top notch but the one thing I did notice and have dropped a halve twice now is when your screwing the halves together it seems really easy to get a feeling of its connected when its not. The axle on mine doesnt seem to catch until its in the yoyo quite a bit. This also concerned me since I cant see if I got it on straight and could be a potential stripping issue, its still a prototype so im sure my issue was a one off.

I would recommend this yoyo to anyone from beginner to advanced, it looks great even though it took me a few days to warm up to it, its different then I'm used to, it plays like a freaking monster, and Doug has outstanding customer service. What more could you ask for?

Thanks Doug..

Brett

Wed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

I could not have said it better myself. This yo-yo is one heck of a player. It is now tied with my M1 for being my favorite yo-yo to throw.

I have also noticed the same problem with the axle. I chalked it up to a prototype issue and am eagerly awaiting the final, anodized product so that I can buy one.

Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

The thing is awesome. The weight makes the thing spin like it's got a little motor inside. As mentioned above, the thing grinds like nothing else. One thing I really appreciate about the design is how all of the features on the "outside" of the yoyo(from the rims into the gap), are all constructed of straight lines. But all the features on the "inside" of the yoyo are primarily curves. Not sure what kinda voodoo Douglas was going for there but it sure is damn cool.

Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

Honeymoon is over.. :) And I still like this yoyo.. You may have seen during my doctor bill crisis I had this for sale.. I couldnt do it.. I just couldnt.. I needed to, but I couldnt..

Sooo.. I still stand by the review weeks into having it..

Sun May 17, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

Cool video! I like it! It's good that you didn't have to sell it!

Zach

Sun May 17, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I think I read somwhere that mostly the BBYY's prototypes come with O-rings but finished versions come with flowable silicone or whatever.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 am

Japhle wrote:
I think I read somwhere that mostly the BBYY's prototypes come with O-rings but finished versions come with flowable silicone or whatever.

A few of my team players and some of my loyal friends like o-rings for 5A so I make all yo-yos to take orings (except for the
Bullies, the next gen Bullies will take o-rings). Normally I will put o-rings in the protos simply for ease of assembly on my part. Then for production they get pads or flowable silicone.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]