View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Release: Nickel Plated Battosai 

The vs Newton Yo-Yo Concepts Battosai is the second release from the company who was awarded Best New Yo-Yo Company in 2010.

This limited edition version was soda blasted and nickel plated by One Drop.

The Battosai has elegant lines including the concave catch zone. The play is very smooth.

Specs:
Weight: 67 grams
Width: 40.2mm
Diameter: 50.04mm
Stock Response: Flow Groove
Gap Width: 4.4mm
Bearing Size: Large (C) stainless steel (One Drop 10 Ball Bearing)
Finish: Soda Blasted and Nickel Plated

http://www.onedropyoyos.com/shop.php

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 pm

I can't believe I missed this. My darn Droid was getting no reception at target (where I was unfortunate enough to be at launch time). I waited this long for naught. I guess this is why we have the BST.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 pm

I missed it, too. Even sitting in front of a computer. The One Drop page must been hit hard with visitors because it took about 2 minutes to load the page. By the time I had a Battosai in my cart and tried to reach the check out stage they were already out. Oh well!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:49 pm

The IPhone would not allowe me to purchase with the phone. Had to go to a regular computer. By that time battosai were out. Got the WMM though. Not too worried about not getting the obsidian. Possibility of another batch being done. We know for a fact once the WMM are gone no more will ever be made. Wife was pissed I got it though. Lol!!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 pm

wow.

at this point im curious to see who actually got them

I have one, i know Sunny and 2 other people got to them. wondering now hahah

kinda bummed Andrew didnt get one

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I missed it to. Been on the hunt for it since you announced it. Spent from midight to 4 oclock refreshing the page every 15 mins and I never even seeen it in the shop until around 4 oclock when it was sold out. Extremely bummed. I got my hands on all the other highly sout after Battosai. this was my must have and Failed!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 pm

It seems like the people who really wanted one are those that missed out and the people who bought one did so on a whim.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:56 am

SuperPokenerd wrote:
It seems like the people who really wanted one are those that missed out and the people who bought one did so on a whim.

Oh no, I can assure you that's not :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:32 am

SuperPokenerd wrote:

If someone can drop $95 for a yoyo on a whim and without really wanting it, I want their job! :D

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but to say that one person wanted it more than another is awfully assuming of you. I'm new to yoyos, and I bought one because I'm having an absolute blast playing with them, and would rather support companies like One Drop, CLYW, General Yo, and vsNYYC, who are doing what they love (and kicking ass at it).

I had read and heard so much about the Battosai that I couldn't wait to get my hands on one to give it a spin to see for myself how it plays. I could care less about it being limited edition, and would love if more were made.

Sorry for the long-winded response - I felt like I had to defend myself for wanting one of these. I wish you could have gotten one; if I get mine and don't like it, I'll send you a PM.

john

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:42 am

Sorry, my intention was not to say that everyone who bought one did so on a whim. I was saying that it seemed to me (based on forum response to the drop) that people such as Red YoYos and myself who have been hounding after the nickel battosai since it was announced over a month ago were among those that missed out and that some of the people who got them are those that just saw the announcement of the drop time pop up a few days ago and said 'hey, maybe i'll get that'.

I know I must seem really butthurt over missing this drop but that's only because I'm trying to build up the (second ;) ) best Vs Newton collection and missing this nickel battosai is really hard for me to come to terms with at the moment.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:58 am

I hope you get one, SuperPokenerd. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, and all that good stuff.
john

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 am

ditto Superpoke. Gotta work the BST extra hard now Sigh. but yeah along with you working on building the collection to.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:27 pm

man I just ordered my WMN and hesitated to get the battosai, truth is, out of the 3 limited editions, only the WMN was somehow a new throw and not a nickel plated version of existing throws

I mean you can get the same battosai, you can get the same 54, only with other finish, but you can't get another WMN anymore.

I mean don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous and a real nice piece for true collector (and I know one who got his ^^), but when the count was going down, I thought meh, I still want a cherry blossom battosai, and I want it more than a nickel one so I watched the count go zero and got only the WMN

got no chance to see the 54s in stock tho

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

Emmanuel G. wrote:
man I just ordered my WMN and hesitated to get the battosai, truth is, out of the 3 limited editions, only the WMN was somehow a new throw and not a nickel plated version of existing throws

I mean you can get the same battosai, you can get the same 54, only with other finish, but you can't get another WMN anymore.

I mean don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous and a real nice piece for true collector (and I know one who got his ^^), but when the count was going down, I thought meh, I still want a cherry blossom battosai, and I want it more than a nickel one so I watched the count go zero and got only the WMN

^^^ I see what you're saying, but, I also think there are other factors at play here.

Yes, the nickel Battosai and 54 can be considered special or limited editions of pre-existing yo-yos... but... its not just the same yo-yo with a cool shiny surface. The addition of nickel plating to any yo actually adds mass, not just an altered aesthetic.

For some people, a particular 'standard anodized' version of a yo-yo might not have the specific play characteristics they are looking for. However, that same yo-yo in a nickel plated finish might have the proper weight and play characteristics they are looking for. I'm not trying to say that one will play like a boat anchor and one will play like a feather, but there is a difference that you can feel.

Depending on the size (and ultimately the surface area) of the yo-yo, the addition of nickel plating could add anywhere from ~0.4g to 1g or even more to the weight of that yo-yo. You might be surprised at how much of a difference that can make. ;)

Just thought I would share my point of view on this matter.

*Edit: I also just noticed the posted weight of the nickel Battosai. It's 67g. That's about 1.5g difference from the standard version (give or take).

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 pm

I would trade a nickel battosai for a limited edition cold fusion, nucleus, g&e 2 black rim, or oxy 3. And some cash in either direction.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:29 pm

throwgoon wrote:
Emmanuel G. wrote:

^^^ I see what you're saying, but, I also think there are other factors at play here.

Yes, the nickel Battosai and 54 can be considered special or limited editions of pre-existing yo-yos... but... its not just the same yo-yo with a cool shiny surface. The addition of nickel plating to any yo actually adds mass, not just an altered aesthetic.

For some people, a particular 'standard anodized' version of a yo-yo might not have the specific play characteristics they are looking for. However, that same yo-yo in a nickel plated finish might have the proper weight and play characteristics they are looking for. I'm not trying to say that one will play like a boat anchor and one will play like a feather, but there is a difference that you can feel.

Depending on the size (and ultimately the surface area) of the yo-yo, the addition of nickel plating could add anywhere from ~0.4g to 1g or even more to the weight of that yo-yo. You might be surprised at how much of a difference that can make. ;)

Just thought I would share my point of view on this matter.

*Edit: I also just noticed the posted weight of the nickel Battosai. It's 67g. That's about 1.5g difference from the standard version (give or take).

I actually knew that, but

1. I didn't think it made that much of a change
2. to me, it's still less appealing

don't get me wrong, the ONLY reason I didn't take it was because I have to keep my cash for EYYC next week end, if there were no EYYC, we wouldn't be having this discussion

looks is the main reason why I buy my throws and well, I just fell in love with cherry blossom branches battosais so if I'm getting one, that'll be the one anyways

now a collab between SPYY and ODYY would be epic (my 2 favorite manufacturers)

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm
Profile WWW

Emmanuel G. wrote:

I actually knew that, but

1. I didn't think it made that much of a change
2. to me, it's still less appealing

don't get me wrong, the ONLY reason I didn't take it was because I have to keep my cash for EYYC next week end, if there were no EYYC, we wouldn't be having this discussion

looks is the main reason why I buy my throws and well, I just fell in love with cherry blossom branches battosais so if I'm getting one, that'll be the one anyways

now a collab between SPYY and ODYY would be epic (my 2 favorite manufacturers)

This man speaks many truths... I'd jump at a re-release of the cherry blossom branch battosai... I love my prepro one... but that color way is just way too cash... and the modified inner walls makes me salivate a bit...

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 pm

YES, got one finally!

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:02 pm

9 total? Those went FAST.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

cornellouis wrote:
9 total? Those went FAST.

Yeah, I saw 9 when I refreshed and then after I finished checking out they were all gone. I'm so relieved that I managed so snag one.

Also, I'm curious as to why these battosais were put back up. Any info on this?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next