Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 am



Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 What would you want to see from Onedrop? 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Virginia
beezy wrote:
Dear One Drop,

ALL-TITANIUM ULTRALIGHT SIDE EFFECT !!!

titanium axle, titanium ultralight, titanium o-ring... OK, maybe not everything titanium, but all the metal bits. I'm sure this would sell like hotcakes. Everyone likes the ultralight the best, and for good reason. Less center weight, the better. Titanium UL? Even better.

"ALL TITANIUM EVERYTHANG" - Trinidad James

Sincerely,

Beezy


Not gonna lie, the benefits just don't seem worth the inevitable headache of manufacturing the titanium parts. I would love to see another Titanium throw though... one in the fill sized department.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
pro tip: titanium weighs more than aluminum.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2880
Location: Area 51
The Machinist wrote:
pro tip: titanium weighs more than aluminum for a given volume of material, i.e., titanium has a higher density than aluminum.

Corrected! :geek:

db


Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
yeah! what he^ said.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:17 pm
Posts: 463
Location: Tampere, Finland
Then you just have to make it thinner. Duh.

_________________
http://www.yoyo.fi


Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Two metal halves, one axle.
dirty birdy wrote:
The Machinist wrote:
pro tip: titanium weighs more than aluminum for a given volume of material, i.e., titanium has a higher density than aluminum.

Corrected! :geek:

db


right, and of course we all know why titanium is used to replace aluminum for applications where a thinner part at higher material strength is desired in order to reduce weight. And also side effects use a healthy-sized dose of steel for the axle. Why would Oxygene make one of their new aluminum yoyo models with a titanium center insert to hold a titanium axle, for example?

But at this point this is just getting rhetorical... And to continue that.. let's say an ultralight side effect was made in thinner titanium, and the steel axle was replaced with a titanium axle as well..... what might the difference in weight be from the standard Al-ultralight? Or at the least, replace the steel axle with a titanium axle.. what would the difference be then?


Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
beezy wrote:
dirty birdy wrote:
The Machinist wrote:
pro tip: titanium weighs more than aluminum for a given volume of material, i.e., titanium has a higher density than aluminum.

Corrected! :geek:

db


right, and of course we all know why titanium is used to replace aluminum for applications where a thinner part at higher material strength is desired in order to reduce weight. And also side effects use a healthy-sized dose of steel for the axle. Why would Oxygene make one of their new aluminum yoyo models with a titanium center insert to hold a titanium axle, for example?

But at this point this is just getting rhetorical... And to continue that.. let's say an ultralight side effect was made in thinner titanium, and the steel axle was replaced with a titanium axle as well..... what might the difference in weight be from the standard Al-ultralight? Or at the least, replace the steel axle with a titanium axle.. what would the difference be then?


Well Ti is about .6 the weight of the alloy that's used to make our axle. Our axle is about .9grams so making it out of Ti would make it weight about .54grams a weight savings of .36grams. As for the rest of it, there's no place to really save any weight on an UltraLight SE. It's design only uses material where it's physically needed to hold the bearing post and taper.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2880
Location: Area 51
The current steel axle has a mass of about 1 gram. Making the identical axle out of titanium would have a mass of almost 0.6 grams, for a mass savings of about 0.4 grams. This is about the mass of two silicone flow groove pads!

As for making the Side effect in titanium, you cannot make it "thinner", as the shape of the Side Effect is dictated by the bearing post dimensions and the More Taper that creates the locking surface. Also, the cut of the thread in the SE for the thread requires given dimensions for proper thread engagement. Changing the material of the SE to titanium would result in different masses of current SE designs in production, as titanium is between aluminum and brass in density, but it would also cause some machining issues, as machining Ti requires slower feed rates, smaller cut depths, and therefore much more time to machine than either brass or aluminum. Plus, Ti is really tough on cutting tools....

Oh yeah, as far as axles are concerned, Ti is not as strong as steel, so I'd just stick with the steel axle...

db

P.S. Rats! Ninja'd by Shawn himself...I'll just post anyways....


Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:10 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Two metal halves, one axle.
dirty birdy wrote:
P.S. Rats! Ninja'd by Shawn himself...I'll just post anyways....


Thanks gentlemen, my curiosity hath been satisfied. I can see why a Ti ultralight SE might not be worthwhile.

Though 0.4 grams isn't much weight savings, now I'm curious about the effects of "apparent weight".... or by what factor the same weight change would alter the feel of the yoyo depending on whether it was 0.4 g in the center vs. 0.4 g on the rim. For example, would 0.4 g change in the center make a difference equivalent to 0.7 g on the rim? Of course rim vs. center weight changes more than one aspect of play. I just need to find some papers on optimizing gyroscopes or centrifuges or something and definitively answer some lingering questions I have on yoyo weighting.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:54 pm
Posts: 283
I'd like to see what you guys could do with magnesium.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
We made a magnesium og Project. It weighed 47 grams.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 am
Posts: 2
A titanium OD that accepts SideEffects!! (also suggested by Ghost8982)

I have no doubt that it will sell like Hotcakes... mmm mmm 8-)


Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:38 pm
Posts: 2316
Location: Gahanna, OH
The Machinist wrote:
We made a magnesium og Project. It weighed 47 grams.


How did it play?

_________________
Senior Editor
Image


Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Lightly


Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:22 pm
Posts: 2488
Location: California
saintrobyn wrote:
The Machinist wrote:
We made a magnesium og Project. It weighed 47 grams.


How did it play?


Not well, at all, if I remember correctly. :lol:


Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:00 am
Posts: 2880
Location: Area 51
Vendetta wrote:
saintrobyn wrote:
The Machinist wrote:
We made a magnesium og Project. It weighed 47 grams.


How did it play?


Not well, at all, if I remember correctly. :lol:

Not surprising at all. Let's look at a few metals and their densities.

Magnesium 1.74 grams/cubic centimeter
Aluminum 6061 2.70 g/cc
Aluminum 7075 2.81 g/cc
Titanium (Grade 5) 4.43 g/cc
Mild Steel 7.85 g/cc

Since the density of Magnesium is about 35% less than that of 6061 Al you would expect a very "light" feel when comparing identical geometries in the two materials. Can you imagine if you made an original Project out of a mild carbon steel? That thing would weigh about 2.9 times MORE than the original Project...about 186 grams OUCH! :D

db


Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:33 am
Posts: 183
What have you guys got up your sleeves for side effects? I really wanna see more RSMs.


Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:38 pm
Posts: 2316
Location: Gahanna, OH
Now you have me curious. Not asking for them to be made but would magnesium be to brittle to make Side Effects?

_________________
Senior Editor
Image


Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Eugene, Oregon
no good. Mg is susceptible to corrosion and is notorious for stripping threads. That could all be mitigated with nickel plating and heli-coil insert though, I suppose.


Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Virginia
The Machinist wrote:
That could all be mitigated with nickel plating and heli-coil insert though, I suppose.

AKA, big headache.


Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.