View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CODE2: Revealed 

Community/One Drop Experiment #2 is going to take place here on the One Drop forums.

You all are what makes One Drop go. Without you we couldn't do this. We are continuously trying to push the limits of community interaction and that is what these experiments are all about.

For #2, we are going to conduct a process with the goal of giving one of you the chance to be a yo-yo designer. It is clear that many of you have ideas and the desire to design a yo-yo but very few have the resources or full knowledge to actually make this happen.

The process will be a contest of sorts. The outcome will not be based on luck, but rather on the effort you put in. This is a skill/effort based contest.

There will be two overall phases in determining the winner:

1. Application phase: In this phase, anyone interested in becoming a contestant needs to apply. The logistics will be announced later but essentially the application will come in the form of writing, videos, images, CAD (although CAD is not required) or whatever other way you think will best demonstrate your vision and why you should be the one. What you need is a vision and the ability to communicate this vision. In this phase your goal will be to convince us that your vision is sound and that it would be worthwhile for us to work with you to make this yoyo. Sell us on your design or idea! Shawn and I (and perhaps some other consultants) will choose from the applicants who gets to move to phase 2.

2. Community interaction and voting phase: In this phase, you will then continue to refine your ideas by working with forum members and taking feedback. Think of this as you doing your own CODE1. At the end of this phase we will have forum members vote for a winner so its essential that you convince the community that you have the best idea while being receptive to input and criticism.

We will then work with the winner and guide them through the prototyping process and then release the CODE2 to the world.

That is the overall idea and we are really excited to get going on this. Everyone can participate in this as either an applicant or as community support for the contestants.

For now if you are interested in applying, get your thinking cap on and start figuring out how you can best "pitch" us your idea.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:15 pm

What about machining limitations? Someone might have a super creative out-of-the-box idea that simply can't be machined or created with the technology you have now (thinking of some of the fun tossed around in the "side effects what if?" thread). As individual entrants or the general community, we don't know what you are and are not capable of. Should this limit us in this early phase, or should we just shoot for the stars and you groovy cats'll straighten us out?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Douglas Brown wrote:
What about machining limitations? Someone might have a super creative out-of-the-box idea that simply can't be machined or created with the technology you have now (thinking of some of the fun tossed around in the "side effects what if?" thread). As individual entrants or the general community, we don't know what you are and are not capable of. Should this limit us in this early phase, or should we just shoot for the stars and you groovy cats'll straighten us out?

Shoot for the stars. We'll provide guidance along the way.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Come on peeps, now's your chance to bring your "vision" to life. :)

Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it..... ;)

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional. ;)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Holy crap, this is gonna be good!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm

cool stuff! cant wait to see what people will bring us =)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:07 pm

beginning to think, although cannot draw to save my life!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:10 pm

hey...do you remember that one time that one yoyo company came in and did awesome all the time....ya, i do too...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey, it's like elections! Sort of?

Anyway, I can draw my designs quite well and I do have some ideas on what I want on a yoyo but, I'm afraid I'm lacking on the skills. I don't have CADD knowledge at all. The best I can do is manually draw out my designs and make a video of them. Although, I could learn how to use CAD software if someone taught me...

Is there even a chance of me getting to phase 2?

And when is the deadline for "pitching" our idea(s)?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Game changer. Again.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:18 pm

^lol, never mind, I should read things more carefully. It said "CAD is not required". But, do you think that would put us nonCAD users at a serious disadvantage?

BABBYlonian wrote:
Hey, it's like elections! Sort of?

Anyway, I can draw my designs quite well and I do have some ideas on what I want on a yoyo but, I'm afraid I'm lacking on the skills. I don't have CADD knowledge at all. The best I can do is manually draw out my designs and make a video of them. Although, I could learn how to use CAD software if someone taught me...

Is there even a chance of me getting to phase 2?

And when is the deadline for "pitching" our idea(s)?

Yes you have a chance :)

We haven't set any dates yet. There will be plenty of time.

AWESOME! You guys are the best! Who else would have the balls to let their own consumers design their own yoyos??? ONEDROP FOR THE WIN!

Gotta start making my "vision" better!! It's 19/20 already...that's pretty good right?lol

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

I just LOVE this idea!

RIDE

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Killer idea guys!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 pm

This question concerns one of my ideas:

Is OneDrop ever going to be a license holder for Duncan's 5a patent?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Very exciting!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:06 pm

One of you will become a very fortunate individual, indeed! For me, I shall recuse myself from the competition, because, if we can't make it here in Area 51, I don't think the Wizards of One Drop (tm) could handle it either...! :lol:

I will, however, stand on the sidelines, with confetti, fireworks, and pom-poms chearing you all on. (actually, the lovely abd delightful cheerleaders have the pom-poms, why do you think I'm standing on the sidelines? :) )

db

P.S. The Wizards of One Drop....kind of has a nice ring to it, huh?

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Itd be cool if it was delrin :3

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:12 pm

If there is forum voting involved then its not really the chosen persons vision correct? how much power and decision making are you giving the chosen individual? it seems as though your going to pick someone to guide the voting process, i mean if the vote is the end result then the chosen persons vision could actualy not be what he/she wants.

This is basically just another community project but your going to give someone a front row seat to see it all go down.

now dont everyone give me shiz.... i like seeing new and cool stuff just as much as the next guy. but this just seems to be another community project, not one persons vision being brought to life, im just trying to understand this process.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next