Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Rim Effect: A CODE2 Concept 

The Vision:

To create the Ultimate player's Yo-yo, one that can be adapted to the ever evolving style of it's user as well as to provide the luxury of experimentation in differing yo-yo set-ups in the aspects of shape, dimension, weight distribution and overall mass, while maintaining a reasonable and affordable price tag.

The Concept:

The User creates and defines their own yo-yo! A Yo-yo that can be EXTENSIVELY customized, allowing the user to change the weight distribution and dimensions of the yo-yo to suit their playstyle and preferences.

The Advantage:

1: Yo-yo adapts to the player, not the other way around
2: Current One-drop side effects compatible
3: Allows yo-yoers to explore more options in customizing their yo-yo
4: Unique Colourways :)
5: More designs and ideas for the rim can be contributed by the community, hence the evolution and development never ends
6: Gives player (More Than) One reason to give OneDrop Yo-yos a try!

The Technical Execution:

My Proposal is to use the concept of Taper Friction which worked for the side effects and apply it on a larger scale. The core body has slots on which a rubber o-ring can be inserted in place, and the rim section then assembled onto the core body. This rim can be of any shape, size or weight. With the O-ring providing suspension and cushioning, I believe that it can provide the smoothness and stability that is required of today's high-performance yo-yos. This design is also flexible, as it maintains compatibility with the current side-effects technology while adding on a whole new feature to the enstablished ones. I would also like to propose the need for shims to adjust the yo-yo's gap, to allow greater customisation by the user, and also due to kickback issues with larger diameters.

Side Notes:

-Replacing rims should be as easy as replacing side effects (or maybe even easier!)
-Rims made out of delrin or rubber can be adapted for 4A/5A use
-Different Core units can provide different Response types and bearing options

Images for reference

Last edited by victorkaxx on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 am

I probably didn't realise this when I did the rendering, but I now realise that the colourway and design makes it look like a Hitman Pro. Oops.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:09 am

Kind of similar to my concept. Awesome! Great rendering too!

Although, I'm afraid the rims might fall off during play. The concept of taper friction on the side effects work because of the screw(axle). The screw provides a force that pulls the halves in. With your design, the rims are simply held in place by a rubber o-ring (correct me if I'm wrong). The rubber o-ring on the side effect is just there to hold it in place before you screw the halves together.

But, I could be absolutely wrong.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 am

Hmm, true. I'd suppose a concept like yours might work better in terms of keeping the rims together. But maybe If I increase the area in contact with the rim or maybe add some fasteners, it could work.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:29 am

I got this idea while looking at your design. What if you added threads, like in a screw, to the edge of the outer rim and the edge of the inner core? That way you can screw the rims in. It might be a pain to remove it though.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:48 am

Could Work. I'm also toying with a design that combines some elements of your idea, still tweaking it up a bit.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 am

the idea is good, but i personally would make the "core" bigger, and the "rims" smaller, to make the yoyo more stable ;)

also i'd love a super-wide rim ^^

OD C3 CLYW YYR FTW

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 am

Super Wide? Super Thin? Extra Heavy? You name it, we make the Rim effect for it. That's my concept :)

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 am

Man, another great submission!

Great work! Would be awesome if this could work.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks all of you for your comments and opinions. I really appreciate it :)

Hoping I can get some input from the OneDrop Masters on how to make this concept work

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 am

Love this concept, really! But as it was already said, I fear the rims can go out flying while playing. Making threads to screw it can be a possibility (it was already done by Any Yo in the past) but you need a lot of precision (not a problem at One Drop) and probably would increase the cost of production.

Anyway, one of my favourite entries by far. :mrgreen:

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:06 am
Profile WWW

I got a new take on the concept. I took BABBYlonian's design and integrated it into mine. I think this will keep the rims in place better and make the overall design more stable

Thanks BABBYlonian for the idea! :D

Last edited by victorkaxx on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Zammy wrote:
Alright, so I was speaking with my boy Victor on facebook about this and I got one official thing to say:

If this does not make the Code2 submission win, I plead with David and Shaun to somehow speak with victor to make this type of innovation happen down the road in the yoyo world.

Interchangeability is fresh and happening in the yoyo world once again. It has been done in the past with say, chaning the shape of a yo (ex: Renegades), or changing response of a yo (ex: buzzon) and it has been recent about changing the shape of a throw. However with that said, I am not sure about copyright laws considering I remember Werrd having issues about their throws and not being able to see them.

Must-make-this-happen.

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see something like this happen as well.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:49 am

Thank you very much for your support, Zamster!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 am

Yea, copyright issues might bite us if we choose to go ahead with this idea.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:41 am

Whoa, I think this new concept of yours is quite good! Though I'd wish there to be less weight close to the center of the yoyo.

Oh, also, I mean no offense and I don't wanna be negative, but it seems to me that the best way would be to leave the Side Effects as the only constant part... I doubt these interchangeable rims as they are would be cheaper to produce than yoyo halves...

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:01 am

malfil wrote:
Whoa, I think this new concept of yours is quite good! Though I'd wish there to be less weight close to the center of the yoyo.

Oh, also, I mean no offense and I don't wanna be negative, but it seems to me that the best way would be to leave the Side Effects as the only constant part... I doubt these interchangeable rims as they are would be cheaper to produce than yoyo halves...

I'm pretty sure that issues such as weight and distribution can be ironed out if this moves on the next phase.

These renders are really just my suggestion on how to make this work and there are definitely other ideas that may be better, like BABBYlonian's one.

What i'm selling really is the idea that one can change the rims of the yo-yo to alter the shape as they desire. And I believe that there are ways and means of keeping the cost low while maintaining this idea.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:35 am

Man, what a great idea! Everyone who has submitted an interchangeable rim/SE system is definitely on the right track! I believe Tom Kuhn had the original concept along similar lines except he used an interchangeable axel system to switch up the yoyo halfs into three different positions; a la No Jive 3-in-1 style.

Great idea victorkaxx! If one drop can pull off one of these interchangeable rim/SE designs, things will start to get very interesting indeed.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 pm

I love this idea! One drop could release "expansion packs" once in a while with this idea, much like they release new side effects. These "expansion packs" could include themed/matching side effects and rims. Love it.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:09 am

Ah, unfortunately David had already indicated that they wouldn't be pursuing ideas like these, at least for the CODE2 project. Ah well, it was worth a try :)

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next