Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The evolution of the original Project 

In the beginning...

At some point, we'll go into the whole history of OneDrop and how we came to make yoyos and all of that. But for now here is a pictorial account of the evolution of the original Project.

This picture shows the very first thing we cut. We wanted to see if we could make a lathe part on a mill. We held it in a circular vise and cut the "dome" in several steps, this is what created the Projection Profile. We would start at the top and cut a circle. Then we'd move out, then down, then cut a bigger circle. We repeated this twenty-some times until we had what you see here. At this point we weren't thinking in production mode, we just wanted to make one yoyo for this Colin character. We tumbled it and then polished it and decided that it did in fact look something like the catch-zone of a yoyo. Yay!

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:41 pm
Profile WWW

It is a thing of beauty

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 pm
Profile WWW

Once the dome was cut, we moved on to the cup. Coming from an aerospace background, where nearly everything is meant to be serviced, tapping into aluminum was something we decided to avoid. This was our first attempt at a nut-capture. It's rather large too, the fastener is an 8-32 size. We used some pretty coarse toolpaths to create the shapes. You can definitely see the beginnings of a Project in there, though unrefined.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

At this point things were looking pretty good. We decided to refine the shapes a little and marry the two routines. This is the first playable yoyo OneDrop ever created. It's really heavy and the two sides are different widths(oops). It's one of my fondest memories ever to remember Colin throwing this for the very first time. He was literally jumping up and down. It was a very exciting time. Remember, we had no intention of becoming a yoyo company at this point. We just wanted to help Colin design and build one yoyo. This still has the large 8-32 fastener. Also notice the rather sharp rims, we had small 45º chamfers on there, but they proved to be to sharp. Notice too that the inside is more refined than the test cut.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

At this point it was time to remove some weight, smooth out the contours and move to a more reasonably sized fastener. We decided on a 6-32, the same size as the yoyoguy hubstack kit axle. We built this yoyo with all those changes, assembled it and then Colin took it away to throw, a lot! You can see evidence of rigorous testing. We also replaced the 45º chamfer on the outside of the rim with a more hand-friendly radius. We kept the inside chamfer though. We were really happy with the direction of the axle, though Colin mentioned often that people would not be happy if they took their yoyo apart and ended up with a handful of hardware. We started talking a lot about how to avoid the dreaded "parts explosion", at this point we did not have a solution.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

I am really liking that big sucker up there- what would the weight be on that?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 pm
Profile WWW

this is like seeing a monster being raised...

A little faith here ... ? We're One Drop. - DAVID
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35557331@N07/

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Profile YIM

I checked the pictures out the other day. They are absolutely great. I think it's wonderful to see the evolution of the Project. I really like hearing you talk about it Shawn. Keep it up :D :!:

This should be a sticky ;)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW

i second this being a sticky, this is really cool shawn i like reading about it, very interesting

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

awww, thanks guys. More to come...

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:27 pm
Profile WWW

That's super crazy. <3 the first project.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Here we've moved on to a standard fastener. We looked around at some other yoyos and is seemed like most were using a 4mm set-screw as an axle. No reason to re-invent that, so we adopted it. We still have a chamfer on the inside of the rim but overall things are starting to look even more refined and the weight is getting closer. Still no way of keeping all the axle parts from falling out should you take the yoyo apart though.

I remember at the time there was much talk of where and how to add our name although I think we had already decided on "Project". It's funny that it evolved to use the definition of the word project that refers to "a special project", etc. We intended for it to be the definition that means "to throw, cast, or impel forward" as in "I projected my voice". It's even a different pronunciation, but it sounds really funny now.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Now we're getting close. We've got the name on there, the rims are now rounded inside and out and we've experimented with soda-blasting. Funny thing about soda-blasting, I'd seen it done at a previous job. We used it as a pre-finish on aluminum bicycles. We talked about using it at OneDrop but had no system of our own and no contacts should we want to have someone else do it. About then Colin went on vacation to see family over the summer and a relative(Grandpa maybe?), had a little sand blasting gun. Colin loaded it up with baking soda from the kitchen, took it out to the yard and gave the yoyo that he had with him a little blast. It looked great! Everyone was very excited, except Grandma, he'd killed her lawn. :cry: We loved the look and set about making our own system to do it, the system we created is a whole other thread. Here is another yoyo with testing scars.

Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

Wow! This is turning into a full length, feature film! Either that, or a suspenseful murder mystery/thriller. I think I'll need my popcorn for this...

There....That's better! Now Mr. Popcorn fits in with all the other smilies! Image

db

P.S. Note to self, gotta redo popcorn smiley to look like the actual forum smileys...(you know, color, shape, etc...)

Last edited by dirty birdy on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:15 am

very amazing and cool first model :D

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:42 am

so how does colin fit into the story? was he just some kid who asked you to make a yoyo, im still not clear on that

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:04 am

this is awesome! you had shown me the steps of the project in the past on the shop cam but never this detailed. this is exciting to read!

saintrobyn: Hi Shawn. XXX turned out great.

markmontgomery: but i bet my chest is still bigger then yours

yoyogirl: lick it off

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 am

One day Colin showed up at the shop with the solution to our axle retention problem. He sketched it out and I immediately understood what he was going for. We took that idea and slightly redesigned the hub, making it larger in diameter. We added the new nut-capture with the rubber nibs. We also moved the engraving to the rim, this required us to adjust the size of the radii at the rim but only slightly. This afforded us just enough width on the face to fit the "one drop" and "project". These small refinements changed the weight slightly so we had two more protos than this but they look identical, we shaved off just the smallest amounts of material to get the weight where we wanted. The only other change between this and the final is that we removed that small sharp step you see between the IRG area and the floor.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 am
Profile WWW

Shawn, remember the very late nights at the shop? you would pull out all of the "Project Evolution" proto's and give us a short detailed description.... ohh the good 'ol days.... :') haha

i am really liking this thread. it shows the "Project Evolution" and is in great detail. :)

-Alex

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW

Shawn,

Great thread! Keep up the good work. I'll see you next week if not sooner. Remember my annual birthday party is coming up soon :^) Plenty of good food and drink for everyone.

Jay

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next