View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Review: Terrapin X - Wing Bearing (Ceramic Hybrid and Stainl 

I will start by saying that I feel obligated to post this because these bearings are really fantastic, but I am a little sad that I will probably have competition trying to buy these things on eBay now! :'(

So after hearing some talk of these Terrapin X Bearings and seeing some girl at world's wearing around a crazy looking Terrapin X shirt I figured I'd try some out. I PM'd John (the guy behind Terrapin X) and he told me that his bearings were made in small runs for competitive yoers around the world and when he had extras he threw them on eBay. A few days later I saw one of each the Hybrid Ceramic/Stainless (Stainless Steel cage with Ceramic Balls) and the All Stainless Steel bearings on eBay and decided to bid. I was lucky and managed to win the bearings without anyone else bidding.

Since then I've won a few more of his auctions and had his bearing in a One Drop Project Two that I carry with me every day and I must say that this is my new favorite bearing. I perfer the Ceramic due to the sound, but the Stainless plays just as well imo.

So what makes these bearings different?
1) - Well you can barely see it in the photos, but these bearings have a very very very minor dip in the center. Below you'll see some photos taken on a Canon 5D Mark II (very high res) and you can barely see the dip. Apparently this is all that's really needed because whenever I seem to check I'd say 9/10 times I look the string is centered on the bearing. I know that many people dislike the way KKs play and if you are one of these people, I would have to guess that you may love this bearing. Benefit of a KK without the same effects of string bunching in the center. This thing plays like a flat bearing but keeps your string centered.

2) - These bearings are treated by hand. "What does that mean?" you ask. Well John can speak more to his process, but what I can tell you is that these bearings are dipped into a chemical and then cured by heat. This apparently gives the pieces of the bearing the thinnnnnnnnest coating of whatever it is that protects the bearing from normal wear and tear. This means that you can run these puppies bone dry. He even recommends that you never clean them (with the standard mineral spirits technique that is) and never lube them. If they do need a cleaning he recommends blowing it out and/or cleaning the bearing in Distilled Water.

The Photos
So here are the photos of his bearings. Now, what you will see in these photos is a bearing that I've been playing with, and one that I've yet to decide which yoyo will get to team up with the bearing for a bunch of awesomeness. The white crud on the unplayed bearing is wax. I'm not sure what it is there for, but it is (I assume) part of the treatment process. Before throwing it in the yoyo I just wipe the wax off using the inside of whatever t-shirt I'm wearing.

Where to Buy?
As far as I know the only place to buy them is from John on eBay. I've also seen him sell some ear rings and other stuff on there as well. You can see his items at:
http://shop.ebay.com/fjh123/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

He also sells Ceramic Hubstack Bearings. I honestly can't say that I can tell the difference, but I had to buy a pair and they are on my 888 :D

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer. John is on the forums so I'm sure he can chime in as well. Good luck everyone!

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for the great review. Sorry you were out bid on the last two. The pictures are awesome, gotta use some finer polishing compound -). The white "crud" is wax, only on the bearing surface, it must be slick to work. The taper is only .0015in at center. 9/10, not bad. You'll hit 10/10 soon if not already. The treatment smooths the surfaces of the races and balls. The Terrapin S/C bearings never required lubrication, the treatment is just a bonus, but it is the only reason the less expensive S/S bearings can be offered as a competition product. Sorry I didn't meet you at the Worlds but I guess I'm not as noticeable as Brandy, the girl in the crazy shirt. Once again thanks and check out the YoYo Skills review just out http://www.yoyoskills.com/?p=1952 fjh123

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:44 am

I got mine (S/C) on Saturday, put it into my P2 and I haven't been able to put it down yet. It's the best bearing I've ever thrown, just unbelievable. Even though the inset groove is slight, oh so slight, the string finds the center every time without the invasive center bunching of the KonKave.

If you think about paying $30 for a KK ceramic, you'd have to be crazy not to bid up to $40 for this. The X-Wing is better in every respect (except maybe availability).

I got mine for $29 or so after shipping, for the record, and I saw another go for $31, so price-wise it's in the same family as the CKK.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 pm

There is one up now, a Terrapin X Wing S/Cm 6x13x5mm. Closing tonight, no bids yet:

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:30 am

i want to get one of these. should i get the Terrapin X Wing S/Cm 6x13x5mm Competition YoYo Bearing or the Terrapin X Wing S/S Competition YoYo Bearing *Fly It*?

whats the difference in the 2?

saintrobyn: Hi Shawn. XXX turned out great.

markmontgomery: but i bet my chest is still bigger then yours

yoyogirl: lick it off

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:48 am

ZEKE wrote:
i want to get one of these. should i get the Terrapin X Wing S/Cm 6x13x5mm Competition YoYo Bearing or the Terrapin X Wing S/S Competition YoYo Bearing *Fly It*?

whats the difference in the 2?

the S/C you mentioned is a hybryd of Steel (track and casing) / Ceramic (the balls).
Also it's metric.

The S/S is Steel/Steel and is a C sized bearing.
I have one of each on their way to me right now.

The S/S will fit most of my yoyo's, but my ILYY's take a metric bearing.

~Bruce Campbell~

-captainhunter-
http://yorad.ca

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:02 am
Profile WWW

so is the S/C the size for my hspin envy64? and the S/S would be the size for my 1drop yoyos?

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 am

ZEKE wrote:
so is the S/C the size for my hspin envy64? and the S/S would be the size for my 1drop yoyos?

Correct

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:49 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

okay thanks. im going to buy one of the ones that fit my 1drops.

im having my brother buy me it later tonight. is ebay the only way to get these bearings or do you sell them directly too?

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:07 pm

So I just wanted to post an update and say that I'm still loving my bearings. On top of it, I just got some of his new Ceramics that fit into ILYY throws. I got two and put them in my Lio and Wasabi. Wow, if you have an ILYY yoyo, you need to pick up one of the Terrapin X bearings for it. Sadly there aren't a lot of options out there for ILYY, but now that Terrapin is making bearings for em, it doesn't matter. Check em out.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:44 am

yourfavorite wrote:
So I just wanted to post an update and say that I'm still loving my bearings. On top of it, I just got some of his new Ceramics that fit into ILYY throws. I got two and put them in my Lio and Wasabi. Wow, if you have an ILYY yoyo, you need to pick up one of the Terrapin X bearings for it. Sadly there aren't a lot of options out there for ILYY, but now that Terrapin is making bearings for em, it doesn't matter. Check em out.

Gonna have to step in here with a big vote of agreement!
Got the S/C metric, and my Lio is happier than ever!

also picked up a S/S c-sized bearing, and it makes EVERYTHING HAPPIER!

that is all. Terrapin bearing's are terrific.

~Bruce Campbell~

-captainhunter-
http://yorad.ca

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]