View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 CODE2: Revealed 

The CODE2 has given me the kick in the pants to try and actually design a yo-yo for once. I had a great time thinking through the various design challenges (which I can't believe I even understood) and trying to make something playable despite nearly zero knowledge of what I'm supposed to be doing. The design I've come up with is what I very much believe to be different, but "One Drop Different" if that makes sense.

Also, I just showed it to Chris Allen and he agreed that at the very least, what I've done makes sense (despite how utterly messy my sketch and mock-up sketch are). Even if everyone else hates it, tonight I feel accomplished and excited.

P.S. I have those same questions, yoyochucker.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 pm

This is exactly what I hoped would happen!

I've seen a few really great ideas thrown around these past few months in the "Modding" section of YYN. I really hope you guys get a ton of entries and have a really, really hard time choosing the best one. In the end, that will just mean we have a lot of talented designers and visionaries among us (which we already know...).

I can't wait to see the initial polls start popping up. I will be entering this contest, but frankly, I've got nothing on some of you guys. I know nothing of CAD or machine shops and I really don't have a vision I deem worthy of the One Drop name.

Good luck everyone!

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:44 pm

BABBYlonian wrote:
This question concerns one of my ideas:

Is OneDrop ever going to be a license holder for Duncan's 5a patent?

Not likely.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 pm

yoyochucker wrote:
If there is forum voting involved then its not really the chosen persons vision correct? how much power and decision making are you giving the chosen individual? it seems as though your going to pick someone to guide the voting process, i mean if the vote is the end result then the chosen persons vision could actualy not be what he/she wants.

This is basically just another community project but your going to give someone a front row seat to see it all go down.

now dont everyone give me shiz.... i like seeing new and cool stuff just as much as the next guy. but this just seems to be another community project, not one persons vision being brought to life, im just trying to understand this process.

There won't be a voting process like the CODE1 for individual features - unless a contestant decides the need to for some reason. Re-read my original post.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 pm

So, when should we start "pitching" our ideas?

I just whipped up a real good one and I'm so excited about it! Although the design is a bit complex and it would be a bit more tedious to machine, I think OneDrop can handle it and I think if my design gets picked and produced, OneDrop will garner even more praise from the yoyoing community. I just hope no one else thought of the same idea, which is why I wanna start putting my idea out there.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 pm

We will be setting up a sub-forum and time frames for this. It will be soon.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Just wondering, what kind of aluminum do you guys use or what is the density of the aluminum that you guys use? Gotta calculate some stuff...

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm

da5id wrote:
BABBYlonian wrote:
This question concerns one of my ideas:

Is OneDrop ever going to be a license holder for Duncan's 5a patent?

Not likely.

too bad

good stuff for the CODE 2, looks like a lot of work to get it done tho, but you guys can do it ^^

can't draw so I'm out of it

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 am
Profile WWW

This looks great...

I just shared it with the italian community...who knows, maybe the next Carlo or Ettore is waiting to be discovered...

Here's the link to the article, just in case you feel like encouraging us. :D

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 am

da5id wrote:
2. Community interaction and voting phase: In this phase, you will then continue to refine your ideas by working with forum members and taking feedback. Think of this as you doing your own CODE1. At the end of this phase we will have forum members vote for a winner so its essential that you convince the community that you have the best idea while being receptive to input and criticism.

Re-read and as highlighted above there is still voting going on so it is still a community decision, not an individuals.

Im not complaing here.. im just saying lets call it what it is. another community yoyo with one lucky individual who has the opportunity for his opinons to be heard first.

Take out the voting element and you will have what everyone is thinking this is going to be.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:32 am

yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:
2. Community interaction and voting phase: In this phase, you will then continue to refine your ideas by working with forum members and taking feedback. Think of this as you doing your own CODE1. At the end of this phase we will have forum members vote for a winner so its essential that you convince the community that you have the best idea while being receptive to input and criticism.

Re-read and as highlighted above there is still voting going on so it is still a community decision, not an individuals.

Im not complaing here.. im just saying lets call it what it is. another community yoyo with one lucky individual who has the opportunity for his opinons to be heard first.

Take out the voting element and you will have what everyone is thinking this is going to be.

To me, it sounds like one lucky person will be chosen to design the code-2. It sounds like the person who is chosen will get to brainstorm the community and set up polls for voting (as if it is their very own code-1 project). I think the designer gets to showcase all of their ideas on the forum and use polls to fine tune the design. It sounds as if the chosen designer is going to get to play the role that One Drop played in the designing of the Code-1 (with the guidance of the pros at One Drop). Not only do they get to play the role of One Drop, but they also get to make the final decisions when it comes to the community's input and when it comes to what voting polls will be posted. One lucky individual gets to make the final calls, and to decide upon what polls will be posted. I assume that the polls that the chosen designer will post will be their own ideas (with guidance from One Drop where needed). The designer will have the final say in this project, with the help of the community and the guidance of one drop. I dunno but, da5id's post on the code-2 project made perfect sense to me.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:30 am

Wow, nice!!! I'll start gathering my idea right now!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:14 am

yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:

The only vote that is planned is to vote on which person gets to have their design made. We are encouraging all the designers to work with the community on their design but no specific methodology is required. I think you're not understanding this ...

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am

So ODs decide the Top X of all designs and community votes from those?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:35 am

da5id wrote:
yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:

The only vote that is planned is to vote on which person gets to have their design made. We are encouraging all the designers to work with the community on their design but no specific methodology is required. I think you're not understanding this ...

Your absolutely correct im not understanding the process which is why im asking questions. i am trying to figure out exactly how it will work.

we are getting closer :) .... so now i know there will only be ONE vote and that is to choose who will be the designer correct?

So the chosen individual at his discretion can then decide weather or not he/she wants to poll the community to help him/her make his/her decisions for the final design? does this sound about right?

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:
yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:

Your absolutely correct im not understanding the process which is why im asking questions. i am trying to figure out exactly how it will work.

we are getting closer :) .... so now i know there will only be ONE vote and that is to choose who will be the designer correct?

So the chosen individual at his discretion can then decide weather or not he/she wants to poll the community to help him/her make his/her decisions for the final design? does this sound about right?

Yes exactly. We are encouraging the designers to work with the community but it's not required. It will interesting to see if someone who is steadfast in their design is able to get votes. At a minimum the community interaction should be to try and convince people to vote for you.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 am

da5id wrote:
yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:
yoyochucker wrote:
da5id wrote:

Yes exactly. We are encouraging the designers to work with the community but it's not required. It will interesting to see if someone who is steadfast in their design is able to get votes. At a minimum the community interaction should be to try and convince people to vote for you.

Awesome! now im on the same page as you. thank you.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

i will help as much as i will able to!!!! :D THE RESULT OF THIS ALL WILL BE AWESOME!!!

OD C3 CLYW YYR FTW

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 am

Soooo excited about the Code 2!!

First, I just want to thank Shawn and David for this opportunity. Although the odds of me winning are just as good as all you other OD fanboys/girls, I already feel like I've won since we've been given this chance!

It should be interesting to see what kind of crazy ideas come out of this project. My ideas have been flowing... can't wait to share my concept! Hope I can make it to phase 2 :)

One Drop FTW!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 am

I'm writing a small essay as part of my entry right now. Keep in mind that this is the guy who, a few months ago, was joking with Dan that he needed to name his signature yoyo the Dietz. I create the future.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next