Read-Only Archives

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mark Guillermo's Crazy Yoyo design 

da5id wrote:
He has proposed a very clever fastening method. Study his proposal again and you'll see.

Wow... I'm amazed... I read through it pretty thoroughly the first go around and wound up thinking that he hadn't come up with a proper fastener yet.

Now, after reading it two more times, I want this yoyo. I really want this to be prototyped. Not only is the fastening method ingenious, but it does seem like it will work flawlessly. I love the idea of a longer taper, too, even if it is just a fail-safe.

I can't believe I didn't see it the last time I looked at this. Mark, you've really blown my mind.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Can't thank you enough!
I've come up with two other ways to fasten the rims, one will reduce weight and the other will increase functionality(if that's even a word). I'll probably draw it up and post them in a few days. I just need to find a compass.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 pm

BABBYlonian wrote:
Can't thank you enough!
I've come up with two other ways to fasten the rims, one will reduce weight and the other will increase functionality(if that's even a word). I'll probably draw it up and post them in a few days. I just need to find a compass.

Please do! I'm really, really impressed already. It'll be great to see a few more possible methods for attaching the rims.

Also, functionality is definitely a word. It looks like your idea will be functional, but I'm not a yoyo designer and I've never prototyped anything. That pretty much makes my opinion useless, but I'm behind you 100% :lol:

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm not expert at all, but the way to insert the rims wouldnt add some vibe?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:03 am
Profile WWW

alfredomascali wrote:
I'm not expert at all, but the way to insert the rims wouldnt add some vibe?

I'm no expert either but if it's a snug fit and everything is precisely machined (meaning OneDrop machined), then theoretically it wouldn't add vibe, at least that's what I think. I based it off the Side effects so it's basically a giant side effect. So far, there's barely any vibe on my 54, so there shouldn't be vibe because of the rims, unless you ding it or something.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 am

I suppose the suspension effect of the o-ring contributes to the smoothness of the yo-yo.

Oh, and please do check out my thread. I made an amendment to my design that used some of your ideas. I think it might make the design more feasible now.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 am

victorkaxx wrote:
I suppose the suspension effect of the o-ring contributes to the smoothness of the yo-yo.

Oh, and please do check out my thread. I made an amendment to my design that used some of your ideas. I think it might make the design more feasible now.

Looked at it, looks Great!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:45 am

Just for kicks:
John (herbsandspices) helped me render this design before David said that we can't go through with this design. It's a bummer, though I do understand that patent and copyright stuff are a pain, even more of a pain from making this work. So, despite that, I thought John's work should at least be seen by everyone.

Behold, the variable rim system:

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am

Who holds the patent? What's the patent issue. I haven't been following CODE2 as closely as I'd like to, so I've been reading up on it. I've now come across two great ideas that would have had my full support get the axe. First Victorkaxx, and now Babbylonian? If we are talking about Yoyojam's patent about rim material being denser than the core material, then I don't see an issue as you could just make the rims out of the same aluminum as the core, or you could use delrin which is less dense than aluminum. If we are talking about a company holding an interchangeable rims patent, that's something else entirely. I know yoyofactory has a yoyo that can turn into an offstring. Do they hold the patent? Could someone clear this up for me?

Is there anyway to get around the patent this by having the side effect BE the rim? What I mean is you would machine the side effect and rim as one part, that way it could be seen as part of the hub system. It would be an oversized/jumbo side effect. I would love to see something like that.

Victorkaxx's idea was great, and Babbylonian's was similar but even better. I loved it not only because it was 3-in-one yoyo, it was a repairable yoyo. If the rims get destroyed, you can just get new rims. Usually for offstring yoyos, if the rims break, you need to get a new yoyo.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:57 pm

JetEyeNight wrote:
Is there anyway to get around the patent this by having the side effect BE the rim? What I mean is you would machine the side effect and rim as one part, that way it could be seen as part of the hub system. It would be an oversized/jumbo side effect. I would love to see something like that.

I had that exact same idea. Except, an entirely delrin version of the side effect would not work. That's why I wanted just one side effect that could fasten different rims. I don't know if a patent is really being violated but, according to David, they won't be able to do something like this for the CODE2. It will most likely cost a lot of money. Maybe, they'll do it in the future??

I came up with two more ways to fasten rims, one reduces weight on the rims and the other one allows you to use the side effects while fastening the rims, but they're both a pain to make. Now, while I was writing this reply, I finally finished coming up with a third changeable rim design that doesn't touch the side effects at all! It makes my idea so much more plausible!!!

Maybe I'll do some research to find out if anyone has a patent on changeable rims.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:23 am

BABBYlonian wrote:
JetEyeNight wrote:

I had that exact same idea. Except, an entirely delrin version of the side effect would not work. That's why I wanted just one side effect that could fasten different rims. I don't know if a patent is really being violated but, according to David, they won't be able to do something like this for the CODE2. It will most likely cost a lot of money. Maybe, they'll do it in the future??

I came up with two more ways to fasten rims, one reduces weight on the rims and the other one allows you to use the side effects while fastening the rims, but they're both a pain to make. Now, while I was writing this reply, I finally finished coming up with a third changeable rim design that doesn't touch the side effects at all! It makes my idea so much more plausible!!!

Maybe I'll do some research to find out if anyone has a patent on changeable rims.

I just read David's post about the interchangeable rims being too complicated. That really bums me out as I was really excited about your entry. Oh well, I figured if anyone could do it one drop could. I still think it's a great idea, and hopefully it will be pursued in the future.

There has been so much creativity going around with the CODE 2, it's great to see. It's just a bummer that every can't be considered due to time/budget/complexity/patent issues and restraints. Darn those limited resources!! In a perfect world....

I understand it's necessary to set boundaries so I definitely don't fault David or Shaun for being up front about it. It's nice that they let us know right away so we didn't get our hopes up.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am

JetEyeNight wrote:
BABBYlonian wrote:
JetEyeNight wrote:

I just read David's post about the interchangeable rims being too complicated. That really bums me out as I was really excited about your entry. Oh well, I figured if anyone could do it one drop could. I still think it's a great idea, and hopefully it will be pursued in the future.

There has been so much creativity going around with the CODE 2, it's great to see. It's just a bummer that every can't be considered due to time/budget/complexity/patent issues and restraints. Darn those limited resources!! In a perfect world....

I understand it's necessary to set boundaries so I definitely don't fault David or Shaun for being up front about it. It's nice that they let us know right away so we didn't get our hopes up.

We could do it but it would take a long time and it's not clear if we would be able to do large production on it. Making a few is one thing, but doing consistent long run production is another. There is a reason no one has made a variable rim metal yo-yo even though every company has thought of ways to do it.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 am

^ Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up David.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:48 am

Considering that OneDrop now manufactures Delrin yoyos, I wonder if they can make this now.... :?:
I'd love to see this prototyped...

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2